Monday 23 September 2024

Guest post: A letter to my son

Photo source: Heidi Gregory


In our work in the La Trobe Science of Language and Reading (SOLAR) Lab, my colleague Professor Tanya Serry and I have contact with a number of parent advocates who campaign tirelessly for the ear of government and other policy-makers, in order to achieve system change, and importantly, accountability on how reading is taught to our children. One such advocate is the indefatigable Heidi Gregory, the founder of Dyslexia Victoria Support. In this guest blogpost, Heidi shares a letter to her son that no parent should ever have to write. That this letter was written nearly 20 years after our National Inquiry into the Teaching of Literacy speaks of major dereliction of duty on the part of policy-makers and other leaders, across systems and jurisdictions.

 *******

My Darling Son,

As I look back over the last decade, my heart swells with the memories of our journey—one filled with love, pain, and relentless determination. There’s something I feel I need to share with you, as it has shaped so much of who I’ve become as your mother and as an advocate.

Recently, I stumbled upon an old book on our shelf, Reading Begins at Home by Butler and Clay, published in 1979. It’s a book I’ve had for years, but in all honesty, I never realised the weight it carried until now. In it, I found this passage:

“We believe that all parents have their children’s future largely in their hands. So much development has already taken place before children enter school that the teacher’s role can be viewed as only supplementary to what has gone before at home.”

Such a simple statement, yet it has shaped the thinking of parents, educators, and even entire education systems for decades. This belief—that parents are responsible for teaching their children to read before school—led me, and so many others, down a painful path. I thought it was my job, and for years I carried the burden of that misconception. But now, with the clarity of hindsight, I see how devastatingly wrong that belief is.

You may not know this, my darling son, but for ten long years, I’ve fought to understand why our education system held onto such outdated, harmful ideas. I’ve come to realise that the belief "It’s the parents' responsibility to teach their child to read" has been passed down through generations, echoed carelessly by commentators, media, and even educators. This dangerous myth has put enormous pressure on untrained, unprepared parents like me while leaving teachers ill-equipped with outdated information. It was never our job alone.

I’m so sorry, my dear. Your school failed you during your foundational years. They left you to struggle through endless Reading Recovery sessions and useless weekly spelling tests when what you really needed was proper instruction in how to decode words and skills in phonemic awareness. Those classes didn’t teach you to read, spell or write like your friends, and it broke my heart to watch you fight through it. We spent thousands of dollars on interventions outside of school, changed schools, and fought for the support you deserved.

This wasn’t just our battle—so many families have lived the same nightmare. I know that you, too, felt the weight of that struggle. I wish I could take it all away. But instead, I promise you this: I will continue to fight.

In fact, that fight led me to establish, Dyslexia Victoria Support, a parent advocacy group that now has over 10,800 members. I couldn’t bear the thought of other families going through what we did. Through our group, we’ve heard story after story of parents made to feel responsible for their children’s reading struggles; all because of deeply ingrained beliefs that never should have been.

I remember crying as I listened to Emily Hanford’s podcast Sold a Story. For the first time, I heard someone speak the truth—Reading Recovery is based on a theory by Dame Marie Clay that doesn’t hold up under scrutiny. This theory, and programs like it, left so many children—yourself included—feeling like failures when the truth was that the system had failed them.

My darling, you are not a failure. You never were. It’s the system that failed to teach you to read and spell in the way you needed, and for that, I am so, so sorry. I regret every moment of stress or pressure you endured.

I’ve spent years trying to understand why this happens, and I recently came across a powerful blog by Pamela Snow, Calling time on parent-blame and children’s reading success. Her words struck a deep chord with me. She so clearly articulates how damaging this cycle of parent blame has been. We were told it was our responsibility to teach you to read, and when you struggled, we were left feeling guilty, like it was somehow our fault. But it never should have been. I encourage you to read it if you ever need to understand the weight of this journey we’ve been on.

From the moment I realised you were struggling and not getting the help you needed, I’ve been fighting for you. And I’m not just fighting for you—I’m fighting for all children who deserve a fair chance to learn to read. Recently, I shared our story with politicians during a Legislative Assembly Inquiry into the state of education in Victoria. I’ve spoken to journalists, educators, and anyone who will listen, all in the hope that no other family has to go through what we did.

I know that you’ve felt the weight of this fight, and I want to thank you for your patience, your courage, and your resilience. I am endlessly proud of you, and I will always be here for you—no matter what. Together, we will continue to push for change.

My love, this battle is not over. But I will fight it for you, for your children, and for every child who needs a champion. And I will make sure that when you become a parent, your children—my grandchildren—will have a strong literacy and numeracy foundation. I will not rest until we ensure that all children, no matter their background, have the chance to learn to read well. Until then, this national tragedy will continue.

With all my love,
Mumma


(C) Heidi Gregory & Pamela Snow (2024)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for such a moving piece, a poignant reminder to all teachers of our responsibility to all of our students. You write:

    "I’ve come to realise that the belief "It’s the parents' responsibility to teach their child to read" has been passed down through generations, echoed carelessly by commentators, media, and even educators. This dangerous myth has put enormous pressure on untrained, unprepared parents like me while leaving teachers ill-equipped with outdated information. It was never our job alone."

    May I include the teacher corollary to your statement:

    Acknowledging this dangerous myth has put enormous pressure on untrained, unprepared teachers, ill-equipped to teach reading due to outdated information. It was never the job of parents and teachers alone. Where does institutional responsibility rest: governmental guardrails, effective teacher-education programs, caring and committed administrators.

    Thanks again for sharing your pain and promise to your son.

    Harriett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriett, thank you. As you can imagine, this has been incredibly difficult to write. Without the ongoing support of academics like Pamela Snow, this massive deception would have remained hidden. I fully agree with your statement. If not for the courageous educators, politicians, and parents, we wouldn’t be seeing the monumental education policy changes our state so desperately needs. Unfortunately, it’s too late for my children. They are part of another generation affected by poor curriculum and intervention choices, and they will continue to struggle with low literacy into adulthood.

    It truly takes a village, and as informed parents, it's heartening to see skilled educators leading the way. But we need more than just dedication at the grassroots level. We need robust governmental policies, evidence-based teacher education programs, and administrators who are both caring and committed to real, meaningful change. The system must evolve so that no more children are left behind due to outdated approaches, slick marketing, and poor strategic planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartwarming and heartbreaking letter.
    Catherine Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for writing this. I run a Facebook support group in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I know there are hundreds of parents there who share your experiences, struggles and the journey to seeing better practices in schools. It's global. (English speaking anyway - not trying to get too deep in the weeds, here! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I have been watching from afar. Keep up the great work.

      Delete
  5. This is so heartfelt and genuine. If it weren't for your kids and you then our family would not have understood how critical the evidence based programs are and would have continued to spend copious amounts of money outside of school... only to find that dyslexia has robbed all the energy out of our kids during a day where they have spent up to nearly 5x the brainpower just trying to keep up (unsuccessfully),... Where teachers cannot deliver the critical learning needed and have heard all the 'myths' you did like that it's parents fault... Through your struggle we learnt, research, ask, advocate, push, seek advice, understand, then react with change!!!
    Even if that means changing school(s) as it did for our child... With the right knowledge and support she is now in a 'whole of school evidence based program's and has caught up YEARS within 6 months and every other subject of course turned straight back around to top grades too! It is unbelievable that there is even any debate (after 50 years of research) about the effectiveness of evidence based literacy to support ALL kids with reading success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous. The education system has known for decades what our children needed.
      Many chose to ignore the obvious, our children were failing to thrive. It’s so devastating that for many years people have blamed parents, our socio-economic backgrounds, our postcode If we read to our children from birth. Ignoring the fundamental that reading is a secondary skill, that needs instruction and support. Literacy difficulties don’t discriminate. What does, is the amount of assistance we can seek. Dyslexia Victoria Support is truly a village, not an organisation. Without support of academics, teachers, psychologists, politicians, speech pathologists, journalists, schools leaders, parents and carers, nothing is going to change. As parents, we have to keep sharing our stories (as shocking as they may be) because at the end of the day, there is a little person who is struggling with literacy and or numeracy. It’s an irrefutable fact, the toll on their mental health lives long into adulthood. Evidence based practises do work, the research proves it, and there is no truth to the comment, that phonics sucks the life out of reading. What does suck the life out of reading is the failure to be taught at school. Parts of the education community refuse to acknowledge that our kids are not thriving, programs are not working, preferring instead to deflect, back to parent blame.

      Delete